CLASS TITLE: Assistant Clerk and Recorder
DEPARTMENT: Clerk and Recorder
ACCOUNTABLE TO: Clerk and Recorder
PRIMARY OBJECTIVE OF POSITION: Under general supervision, performs a variety of moderately complex work pertaining to the administrative support of the Clerk and Recorder’s Office; assists in department procedures and processes as assigned. Work varies somewhat within established standards and procedures.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Work is primarily performed in an office setting involving prolong sitting, bending, stooping, lifting up to 35#s (greater with assistance), and walking;
- Must possess the ability to communicate both orally and in writing, hear and speak clearly with clarity;
- Must possess valid Montana Operator’s license;
MAJOR AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY AND PERFORMANCE:
- Work performed may include the typing of letters and other documents from copy, rough draft, or recording; waiting on customers at the counter providing information and answering inquiries;
- Answering telephone and dispatching messages, distributing incoming mail, maintaining records and department files as assigned, and prepares tabulations;
- Maintains all assigned records at a maximum level of efficiency for the benefit of public accessibility;
- Reading and interpreting maps;
- Maintains strict confidentiality of information;
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
MAY PERFORM SPECIFIC DEPARTMENT FUNCTIONS
in accordance with generally accepted practices that may include:
- Collecting and processing all monies received for making copies of various records, document viewing fees, registration fees, filing costs, and other related services;
- File birth and death records, federal tax liens, notices of action, attachments, judgments, executions, and other miscellaneous documents to preserve the records of county citizens according to policies and laws;
- Voter registration and other election responsibilities assisting the Election Administrator in assuring Federal, State, County, City, and Special District elections are conducted in accordance with all applicable laws and regulations;
- Microfilming, preparation of statements, and maintaining files, indexes, and calendars;
- CLASS TITLE: Assistant Clerk and Recorder (continued)
- Assist the public in their efforts to search county public records by directing them to the appropriate database, website, or file location for physical records. This may include locating information related to land records, budgeting and accounting, elections, and various other records, forms, deeds, claims, certificates, etc;
- Recording of legal documents and maintains all official documents of record for the County;
SUPERVISION – RESPONSIBILITY FOR WORK OF OTHERS: None
EDUCATION, TRAINING, AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS:
- Graduation from high school or its equivalent; PLUS
- Two (2) years of experience in an office setting and computer skills required, bookkeeping and accounting experience helpful;
- Ability to read maps may be required; and
- Must possess a valid Montana Operator’s License.
EXAMPLES OF PERFORMANCE CRITERIA AND EXPECTATIONS:
- Waiting on customers, responding to inquiries, performing assigned duties accurately, efficiently, and following established standards and procedures;
- Responsible for materials and equipment requiring care;
- Position requires constant contact with public and/or fellow employees, requiring tact and diplomacy, and maintains confidentiality of sensitive information;
- Deals tactfully and courteously with the public;
- Performs elections clerk tasks;
- Establishes and maintains effective working relationships with fellow employees and the public;
- Other assignments may include copying, microfilming, and indexing;
- Records and files all Official County Documents;
- Performs all other duties as may be required.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform any non-essential job function.